Austrian Electricity Price Index - ÖSPI©

Apart from the Energy Price Index (EPI), the Austrian Energy Agency has been publishing an Austrian Electricity Price Index (ÖSPI©) since 2008 as an independent information service for power providers and electricity customers.  

The Austrian Energy Agency calculates the Austrian Electricity Price Index (ÖSPI) monthly for the following month.

The ÖSPI is an indicator for the market price development, obtaining the necessary stability by a standardised calculation method.

Current development of the ÖSPI©

Development of the Austrian Electricity Price Index until August 2013
[Source: EEX Electricity Price Exchange; Calculations: Austrian Energy Agency]

Calculation Method ÖSPI©

The Austrian Electricity Price Index (ÖSPI©) is calculated according to a standardised method based upon the quotations at the Electricity Exchange EEX in Leipzig.

The ÖSPI© bases are the market prices for electricity price futures of the coming four quarters. They are also an indicator for the development of the electricity prices to be expected.

Apart from the values for a base load, meaning the regular electricity supply, the values for peak loads are referred to in the calculation. 

The ÖSPI© shows what percentage the electricity purchasing price changes for the coming month, compared to the base period, the previous month and the previous year, based upon  a fictitious procurement attitude. The average of electricity prices from 2006 is the basis for the electricity price index (base year 2006 = 100). 

The ÖSPI© only reflects the mere energy component, being about 35% to 40% of the overall electricity price. The remaining 60% to 65% are net fees, taxes and levies. Further factors that influence the electricity price such as, for example, the procurement strategies of energy providers, are not taken into consideration at the ÖSPI©. An increase or decrease of the ÖSPI© indicates therefore only a relevant lesser increase, respectively decrease, of the total price for electricity. 

The ÖSPI© is no indication for how the energy providers actually calculate their prices for the end users.

Disclaimer

The Austrian Energy Agency as well as all experts involved in preparing the indices has prepared the calculations as well as the factual comments very carefully. An incorrect transmission/contents cannot, however, be completely excluded. The Austrian Energy Agency does therefore not accept any liability for the contents being correct, complete and up-to-date, in particular with reference to possible indirect or direct damage that may have been caused by directly or indirectly using the offered information.

Please consider the references about data protection for processing your personal data. By using this website you consent to the use of cookies. Data Protection Declaration / Cookie Policy